Day Nine: Epoxy Imminent (Aiden)

 Day Nine: Epoxy Imminent

With my bedside table project basically done, day 9 was the start of the epoxy part of my lamp. I started day 9 by putting another layer of finishing oil on my bedside table, bringing me up to 2/3 layers until I was done. I went over the entire project with steel wool in order to smooth out the surface of the wood post-finish, and then applied another layer of finishing oil on to the project that would further strengthen the wood and give it an even more vibrant color. Once that was done I began planning my lamp project, and in preparation for the epoxy I sanded over the entire thing and put wood glue into the holes that might have epoxy seep into them. Sadly I didn't yet have the laminated wood that I needed to create the mold box that would go around my lamp to hold the epoxy in, so I planned to go to home depot after lunch to get that.

    After lunch and home depot, I had everything I needed to begin the epoxy process, but I only had time today to complete the box around the epoxy. I started by measuring out what I would need to create the box, and then cut the pieces of the box to exactly what I would need using the table saw. After I fully screwed all the parts of the box together, I began putting packing tape over all the potential leakage points on the box, as if any epoxy leaked out it would get stuck to the wood and be a pain to take off. I got about halfway through before it was time to clean up, but in that time I feel like I learnt a lot about epoxy and how hard it is to keep it from sticking to things as well as the process of applying it, all things I never knew before and probably never would have known if I didn't do this project.

 The fully-stained bedside table

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Intro to wood working (Nate)

Day One - Just Getting Started (Aiden)

Day Ten: The End (Aiden)