Day Eight: Woodworking Complete (Aiden)

 Day Eight: Woodworking Complete

With all of my woodworking completed yesterday, all I had left to do was finishing touches and extra features. I started by sanding the piece down and making any rough edges or imperfections smooth, but it started raining before I was done so I didn't get to finish. Stuck inside because of the rain, I got to work hot-gluing the LEDs onto my lamp piece. My original plan was to have the LEDs only on the bottom part of the lamp, but since I still had multiple feet of LED string left that would otherwise go to waste, I decided to also add it to the top piece and connect the two with a cool wire-coil design in the center. I finished that design right before lunch.

The lighting on my lamp piece

    After lunch the rain had mostly stopped, so Mr. Grisbee set up a temporary table for me using some sawhorses and I started work again. I ran the router over it to round the edges and give it a more connected look. Once that was done, I sanded it twice more with smoother sandpapers in order to make it as soft as possible. This was the last woodworking part I needed to do, so now I started with applying finish to the piece, which would help to seal the wood and keep it from breaking down or deteriorating, and would also give it a nice look. Applying the finishing oil took me almost the rest of the day, and once I was done I think it really made the project come together and look like a real piece of furniture. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Intro to wood working (Nate)

Day One - Just Getting Started (Aiden)

Day Ten: The End (Aiden)