Day 8: Board completion (Isaak)

 After a week and a half of work I could see the end I started by sanding the bottom of the board and its frame for the final time, it gave me much satisfaction knowing this would be my last time sanding. Using the skills from the past week I sanded without a problem smoothed out all the surfaces and made them soft to thee touch. After the sanding was complete all I had to do was dust off the board and apply the finisher. It turns out the finisher I used was edible not that one would eat it but in theory you could. I had to go over my piece once with finisher and one more time with a clean rag to clean up all the globs. The curiosity of how much darker the woods would get after the finisher was something that I had been curious about from the start, I found out that the cherry wood I got was from a light colored cherry tree the wood was much lighter than what I had expected, however it is a good thing, it was able to give the board the contrast from light to dark much like a checkerboard should, while keeping the traditional reddishness of cherry wood. I was happy with the results. I couldn't stop there however there still being two days left in the A-Term. I continued not by making addon's to the board but by making checker pieces it did not stop there I also planned to engrave the chess symbols into the tops of the pieces so you could play either game. Cutting the pieces was a different challenge, I was using the CNC router however the router chose to for an unknown reason stop cutting circles but instead foot ball shapes, we figure the wood was too hard for the settings we had. That is only a guess, but it also did the same thing on the other wood too. This is what it did:

After correcting the error it was very smooth sailing and tomorrow I will sand my cut out pieces and then use the laser cutter to engrave the symbols. Because I can't use two different woods I'm having to do a different style of engraving for some of the pieces.
These are the pieces:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Intro to wood working (Nate)

Day One - Just Getting Started (Aiden)

Day Ten: The End (Aiden)