Day 6: Everything Is Cut (Harper).

 





Everything Is Cut

    Today I finished cutting everything, and I drilled the holes for my dowel rods, which I inserted later. Drilling the holes for the rods was a process that was much harder than I thought it would be. You first have to start by making precise measurements to determine how the shelf will look. If you do not measure the placement for the holes on each side right, it will come out crooked and will not fit well when it is ultimately put together. It took me over thirty minutes to make the measurements alone. After the measurements were made, I drilled the holes the rods would go into. I drilled the holes with a special kind of jig ( I didn't know what defined a jig before today, but it is actually a very general term that can be any device that holds a piece of wood to aid in the machining process.) I used the drill to create the holes, and the jig ensured I did not go too far because if I did, I would have gone all the way through the board. After the holes were drilled, I put the rods in and tried to fit everything together, and of course, it did not fit. I messed up on one of the sides, but luckily it wasn't a huge problem because I could drill holes next to the mistake due to the fact they would be covered up. After the new holes, everything fit perfectly. Once everything fit perfectly, I glued the two sides to the shelf, and the hard work paid off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1: Intro to wood working (Nate)

Day One - Just Getting Started (Aiden)

Day Ten: The End (Aiden)